Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr.Jitendra Singh in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha today said that ffollowing initiatives have been taken by the Government for Indian leg of crew training:
- Expert team is constituted to define the training curriculum.
- Plan finalized for astronaut training building including requisite facilities with regard to Gaganyaan mission. Work order for the same has been released.
The details of progress of Gaganyaan is as follows:
- The preliminary design of Gaganyaan system is completed.
- Memorandum of understanding (MoUs) signed and in effect with;
- Indian Air Force for crew management activities for Indian human space flight programme;
- Seven (7) DRDO labs for design and development of human centric products; and
- Academic institutes for development of Microgravity payloads.
- Major contracts signed and in effect.
- Crew screening and selection completed. The crew members are currently undergoing generic space flight training at Russia.
- Human Centric Products: Preliminary design review of various human centric systems such as Space food and Potable water, Crew health monitoring system, Emergency survival kit, Crew medical kit, etc. completed.
- Hardware realization is in advanced stage for ground test and first unmanned mission.
- Qualification tests of liquid engines as part of human rating of launch vehicle commenced.
Dr Jitendra Singh said that as per COVID 19 protocols in Russia and health advisories issued by local authorities, the Astronaut training in Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Center (GCTC), Russia was halted for a period from 28th March, 2020 to 11th May, 2020.
As per the revised COVID 19 protocols the training of Indian astronauts has henceforth resumed since 12th May, 2020.
He also informed that the First unmanned mission is planned in December 2021. Second unmanned flight is planned in 2022-23, followed by human spaceflight demonstration.