- Some officers choose to be more selfish, not for themselves but for their country. Captain Mandeep Singh was one such officer who chose to be selfish for his nation for his Battalion and supremely sacrificed himself for a cause.
- Capt. Vikram Batra too made a supreme sacrifice in the 1999 war, and we all address him as a hero. But, some heroes are unknown to us. Capt. Mandeep Singh was one of them who laid himself down with glory while defending the attack on his company camp in Kupwara, soon after the Kargil war in August 1999. He was awarded Kirti Chakra for his sacrifice.
- He was commissioned in 49 Army Air Regiment and was serving in 4 RR Battalion when his camp was attacked. Those were the days when the Kargil war just ended, the whole of the Indian Army was on high alert during August for any infiltration. Kupwara was granted to CRPF until further instructions. Infiltrators felt this as an opportunity to attack the 4RR Army camp.
- Heavily armed militants abruptly attacked the army camp. Capt. Mandeep was the company commander, he fought courageously for his men, and he alone killed 26 infiltrators. He gloriously defended his men but wasn’t present there to celebrate the victory. He along with 6 other soldiers made a supreme sacrifice.
- His friends used to call him to harry during his army days. He too just as his name harried the enemy and destroy their intentions to harm his nation and his mates. Such stories aren’t covered their in any of the books or the movies, but these too need to be told.