Uzbek soldiers on Monday arrived in New Delhi to participate in Dustlik II joint Army exercise. In the Indo-Uzbek Joint Exercise Dustlik-ll, the RezangLa Battalion 13 Kumaon is representing the Indian Army. The exercise is based on counter-terrorist operations and aims at enhancing military cooperation.
INDIA UZBEKISTAN RELATIONS
India and Uzbekistan have relations that go back in history. In recent years, there has been significant intensification in bilateral ties, mainly due to the visit of PM in July 2015 and June 2016 to Tashkent; the opening up of Uzbekistan by President Mirziyoyev; and President Mirziyoyev’s visit to India in October 2018 and in January 2019. Bilateral relations now encompass a wider canvas, including on political and strategic issues, defence and security, trade and investment, energy, agriculture, S&T, education and people-to-people ties.
High Level visits/meetings
2. Visit of PM: PM visited Uzbekistan on July 6-7, 2015, during which he held bilateral talks with the then President Islam Karimov on advancing our strategic partnership. An Agreement on cooperation in the field of Tourism; a Protocol on cooperation between the Foreign Ministries; and a Programme of Cultural Cooperation for year 2015-2017 was signed during the visit. PM also visited Uzbekistan in June 2016 as part of the meeting of the Heads of State of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO).
3. Visit of President of Uzbekistan: President Shavkat Mirziyoyev visited India from 30 September-1 October 2018. During the visit, 17 Agreements/MoUs were signed, including in areas of S&T cooperation, agriculture, tourism, military education, justice, health and medical science, pharmaceuticals, space, and other areas.
4. President Mirziyoyev participated in the Vibrant Gujarat Summit as Guest of Honour in January 2019.
5. Visit of EAM/MOS: The then EAM visited Uzbekistan for the first India-Central Asia Dialogue at the Ministerial level in Samarkand in January 2019.
6. Visit of FM: Uzbek FM Abdulaziz Kamilov presented key-note address at the Raisina Dialogue in January 2020 in New Delhi. He met EAM and PM during the visit. FM Kamilov met EAM again in Moscow in September 2020 on the sidelines of the SCO FM meeting.
7. PM- President Virtual Summit: A Virtual Summit between PM Shri Narendra Modi and President Shavkat Mirziyoyev was held on 11 December 2020. Both sides discussed bilateral issues including in the fields of politics, development cooperation, security, space, education, development projects and regional issues including Afghanistan.