Stumpp Schuele & Somappa Defence (SSS Defence) is an Indian private sector company engaged in small arms manufacturing. It focuses not only on small arms but also on ammunition and other accessories related to small arms. The company came into focus when it presented it’s indigenously designed and developed sniper rifles.
History of the SSS Defence-
SSS Defence is actually a subsidiary of SSS Springs. This company has 70 years of manufacturing experience. It mainly manufactures springs for the automotive and defence industry. In 2016, the company decided to diversify its business. Thus in 2017, SSS Defence was founded.
In less than 3 years the company achieved many important milestones. Also, it showed its potential of becoming the leader in the Indian defence manufacturing sector. SSS Defence aims to provide the best quality indigenous arms to Indian armed forces and other security agencies. Also, it targets the export market in foreign countries in the Asia region.
The products of the company can be divided into three broad categories. These are small arms, ammunition, and tactical and military optics.
1. Small arms
These consist of sniper rifles and assault rifles. Most importantly these are designed and developed indigenously. This is a major milestone in the Indian private defence manufacturing sector.
- Viper – It is a 7.62×51 mm sniper rifle. This has proven range of around 1000 metres. Its potential users include various special forces and law enforcement agencies.
- Saber – This is a sniper rifle which uses .338 Lapua Magnum ammunition. It has range of around 1500 metres. Saber is a military grade sniper rifle. Its potential users include armed forces and various special forces.
SSS Defence has also developed a family of P-72 rifles.
- P-72 Recon carbine – This is available in both 7.62 × 39 mm and 5.56 × 45 mm. It is a lightweight weapon. It offers great maneuverability and phenomenal firepower.
- P-72 Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR) – It comes in both 7.62 × 51mm and 7.62 × 39 mm. This provides a range of around 800 meters.
- P-72 Rapid Engagement Combat Rifle (RECR) – (pronounced ‘Wrecker’) It is suitable for general infantry troops and special operations. It comes in 7.62×39 mm and 7.62 × 51mm (standard NATO round).
SSS Defence is also working on a Light Machine Gun (LMG).
SSS Defence has established a joint venture with Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos (CBC Defence). This is a leading ammunition manufacturing company. By the end of this year, they are planning to operationalize the new plant at Anantpur in Andhra Pradesh. This facility will produce ammunition of calibers such as the 12.7 mm, 9 mm, 7.62 × 51 mm, 7.62 × 39 mm, .338 Lapua Magnum.
3. Tactical and military optics-
The company has developed both day scope and night scope for use in various sniper rifles and other rifles.
What does the future hold for the SSS Defence?
- Firstly the Indian market for the above-mentioned products is quite large. Though the Army has gone for SIG SAUER and AK-203 in quite a substantial number the demand remains. The CAPFs are also looking to replace the INSAS as their standard issue weapon. Also many special forces, counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism teams of state police are looking for such weapons. Thus the total demand goes to roughly more than 20 lakh rifles. The SIG and AK constitute roughly around 8 lakhs. Also, the Indian Army has recently started a process for procuring ammunition from the private industry. Thus it gives a big scope of indigenous industries like SSS Defence.
- Also, there is an additional advantage for our forces. Mr. Vivek Krishnan, CEO of SSS Defence says, “No foreign company will offer you their best product. They will offer either the second or third best option they have. But we as an indigenous company will offer you our best”. In addition to this SSS Defence is offering a complete solution i.e. the weapons, ammunition, and accessories. This will give additional advantages in terms of logistics and supply chain management.
- Secondly, the global market for small arms has a huge demand. Here Indian weapon platforms have a good opportunity of proving themselves as reliable, high quality, and low-cost options. This will open a large export market to Indian products.
The success of the various weapons, ammunition and accessories developed indigenously by the defence industries like SSS Defence holds a great promise. This will help in achieving not only the goal of the self reliability in defence production but also making India a global Defence manufacturing hub.